Thread: Observation of Dracula’s Chivito (IRAS 23077+6707

Observation of Dracula’s Chivito (IRAS 23077+6707

Dracula’s Chivito
    IRAS 23077+6707
    RA 23 09 43
    DEC +67 23 40
    Type Protoplanetary Disk
    ———————————————
    Early this morning just before the start of astronomical twilight I observed the protoplanetary disk IRAS 23077+6707. I was surprised at how small it appeared in my finder eyepiece it looked like a fuzzy star. The conditions were excellent with great transparency and seeing. I was able to use 1040X with rock steady stars. At 1040x I was able to see that it was elongated. I was also surprised as to the high surface brightness of the main disk. I could also see the nebula going near the star on the left. I only caught the dark lane twice and can not count it as a positive.
    IMG_0500.jpeg

I was not able to see Dracula’s fangs to the north and at the time I did not know to look for them. I also could see in the main disk stellar points that would come and go with the seeing. I am not sure what this is or if it is real. I plane to contact the author of a recent paper and ask about the knots I was seeing. I think with the high surface brightness of the main lobe it would be visible in many scopes. I will keep at it to see if I can see the fangs and stellar knots again.
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; July 12th, 2024 at 09:29 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Thanks for your report, Jimi. Glad to hear that you saw some size to it. I saw it in early February shortly after the paper on it was published. It was so low in the sky that I was forced to use my 16-inch. With it, it looked like a 14.2-magnitude star. I fully expect to nab it with my 6-inch later this year when things cool off around here.

Scott H.
    Contributing Editor for Sky & Telescope
    8x56, 10x50, 12x60, 15x70 binoculars
    130mm, 150mm, 10-inch SCT, 16-inch ES Dob

Congratulations on perhaps being the first to nab this one and see some structure!

The discovery paper ("Dracula's Chivito: Discovery of a Large Edge-on Protoplanetary Disk with Pan-STARRS") lists the apparent size as ~11" (ignoring the 'fangs') and states "An optical spectrum indicates that the obscured star is hot, most likely of type late A." So, this is apparently another Herbig Ae edge-on system like PDS 144N though larger than Gomez's Hamburger. In fact, the authors estimated the hot star is surrounded by a disk of diameter 1650 a.u.! (using a distance of ~300 pc or just under 1000 l.y.)
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    14.5" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope

Akarsh enhanced a PanStarrs g band Image that show the knot that I have been seeing over the last several nights. Last night I tried a Sloan G filter and it made the knot easier to see. It is interesting that the lead author on a recent paper “Kristina Monsch” is not aware of the knot in the lobe. I wonder what it is. The search continues.

image.png
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM