Object of The Week August 25th 2024-Wilson’s Object

Wilson’s Object AKA MAC 0148+2733,PGC 6632,CGCG482-17
    Triangulum
    RA 01 48 35
    DEC +27 32 54
    MAG 15.3 SDSS G&R 15.5
    Type Edge on Galaxies
    ———————————————-
    Hi all I am posting for Mark Friedman as he is traveling this week and he will post for me next week.
    ———————————————-
    You might ask what is Wilson’s Object. When Larry Mitchell was cataloging his MAC catalog he came across a small pair of edge on galaxies that were uncharted and decided to name this small pair after his long time friend and observing buddy Barbara Wilson. My friend Barbara was a giant in visual astronomy. She was always pushing the limits of what could be seen and challenging other todo the same. I think the small faint
    Edge on galaxies that Larry named for Barbara are a fitting tribute to her. We lost her recently and I often think of her when I am under a dark clear sky. It is often reported that she was the first amateur to see the jet in M87. Her knowledge of all things about Hilton Arp were incredible.
    SDSS
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    I have viewed Wilson’s Object several time with my old 25” over the years and I would say that it is a challenge object. I think Barbara would like that.

Texas Star Party 2018 some giants of visual astronomy.
    20180512_165453.jpg
    This picture was the last time I saw Barbara in the picture from left to right are Dave Tosteson, Larry Mitchell, Steve Gottlieb, Tim Parson, Me Jimi Lowrey, Bill Christian (photo bomb) Barbara Wilson, and Amelia Goldberg sitting. There are many recipients of the Texas Star Party Lone Star Gazer award in this picture.

So this fall be sure to try Wilson’s object and remember this Giant of amateur astronomy. I know I am a better observer for knowing her! RIP Barbara!

Give It A GO!
    Good Luck and Great Viewing!
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

Nice group of visual giants! Among the best in the world...
    Clear skies,
    Alvin #26
    FaintFuzzies.com
    Texas Hill Country

Wow Jimi, truly visual giants in one picture.

It was an honour to meet Barbara in person during the TSP 2013 and observe some things together.

And you bring up the object when we together observe in the Austrian Alps also in 2013. Man, how times flies. So it is an honour and an obligation to contribute my humbly sketch. So the international wheel of visual observing comes full circle.

sketch: 27", 586x, Seeing III, NELM 7m0+
    CGCG482-17.jpg
    home
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

Fantastic drawing Uwe I had forgotten that we observed it in the beautiful Alps together.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM

At a Bortle 3- site, I found the brighter southern edge-on very faint in my 24" and the northern one was just barely glimpsed. These need good conditions!

The Wilson pair is just 11' NE of NGC 672 (along with IC 1727) and this duo is worth a visit regardless of whether the faint edge-ons are visible.

BTW, I believe the group photo was taken at the 2019 TSP on May 2nd. Barbara passed away just 4 months later.
    Last edited by Steve Gottlieb; August 26th, 2024 at 10:11 PM.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    14.5" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope