NGC 6814

Galaxy

Constellation: Aquila

RA: 19 42 40.7
    DEC: -10 19 25

Class: SAB(rs)bc
    Mag: 12.2
    Size: 3.0'x2.7'

NGC 6814, a beautiful spiral galaxy 75Mly towards the constellation Aquila, was discovered by the none other than William Herschel on August 7, 1788 while using his 18.7” f/13 speculum reflector.

NGC 6814 is classified as a Seyfert galaxy, specifically of Type 1.5, which indicates that it harbors an active galactic nucleus (AGN). The galaxy is known for its variable brightness, caused by the supermassive black hole at its core, which is actively accreting material. This activity makes NGC 6814 an object of interest for studying the dynamics of AGNs and the role of black holes in galaxy evolution. Another of the most intriguing aspects of NGC 6814 is the presence of strong X-ray emissions, which have provided astronomers with a wealth of information about the inner workings of its central region. Variability studies in X-ray wavelengths have revealed that the brightness of NGC 6814's core changes over short timescales, suggesting that the material near the black hole is highly dynamic.

During last week’s Nebraska Star Party we had a chance to observe NGC6814 through wildfire smoke filled skies in my 25". NGC 6814 reveals itself as a beautiful, face-on spiral galaxy with a bright core and faint, but well-defined spiral structure within the galaxies halo. The arms of the galaxy were somewhat loosely wound. We even detected some slight mottling in the arms nearest the core during moments of best seeing.

This galaxy, though not as famous as some of its summer counterparts, offers a rewarding view for those willing to seek it out. Its subtle details and the knowledge of its active center make it a fascinating target for both visual observers and astrophotographers alike.

NGC 6814 may not be a household name among galaxies, but its active nucleus and subtle beauty make it a worthy subject for observation and study. Next time you’re out under a moderate dark sky with a large scope, give NGC6814, arguably the best galaxy in Aquila.

Oh, and remember. Give it a go and let us know!

NGC_6814_HST-JS.jpg
    ©HST
    Clear Dark Skies,
    Dragan Nikin
    25" f/5 Obsession #610 "Toto"
    30" f/4.5 OMI EVO #1 "Tycho"
    www.darkskiesapparel.com

Great choice. I have observed this galaxy many years ago with my 6" newt. The first time it appeared elongated nw-se. The second time it appeared round. My suspicion is that it appeared elongated the first time because of a star on each side of the galaxy.
    Clear, dark, transparent skies, Wouter

20" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 custom Dob (Chile)
    12" F/5 Explore Scientific Ultra Light Gen 2 Dob (Spain)
    94 mm SharpStar Refractor (Chile, Spain)

Back in 1991, with a 13" at 70x: "Averted vision showed a round glow of a galaxy in the midst of the Milky Way." Time to revisit!
    15" f4.5 Obsession Classic
    4" f8.6 Televue 102

My notes says: 27", 293x-419x, NELM 6m5+ - showy object; bright, somewhat elongated core; fainter halo with indicated spiral arms which are difficult to resolve; some stars within and at the border of the halo gives a nice picture
    Clear Skies, uwe
    http://www.deepsky-visuell.de
    Germany

27" f/4,2

With my 24", I found it fairly bright and well concentrated with a bright core that increased to an intense nucleus. But I found the spiral structure ill-defined with segments of curving arms visible on the east and west side. I noted a faint star (V = 15.6) superimposed directly on the western arm.
    Steve
    24" f/3.7 Starstructure
    14.5" f/4.3 Starmaster
    Adventures in Deep Space
    Contributing Editor, Sky & Telescope

Hi, here's my observation from 9/29/2024: Ngc 6814 galaxy in Aquila ; mag: 11.11 ; size: 3' x 2.7' ; under sub par seeing this galaxy is easily seen but only saw it's brghter central core and part of one of it's arms. I used a 10mm Ethos at 133x with my 14.5 StarStructure f/4.3 olbers.jpg
    Raul Leon
    14.5 Starstructure Dobsonian f/4.3

http://thestarsketcher.blogspot.com/