Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Observation of Dracula’s Chivito (IRAS 23077+6707

Dracula’s Chivito
    IRAS 23077+6707
    RA 23 09 43
    DEC +67 23 40
    Type Protoplanetary Disk
    ———————————————
    Early this morning just before the start of astronomical twilight I observed the protoplanetary disk IRAS 23077+6707. I was surprised at how small it appeared in my finder eyepiece it looked like a fuzzy star. The conditions were excellent with great transparency and seeing. I was able to use 1040X with rock steady stars. At 1040x I was able to see that it was elongated. I was also surprised as to the high surface brightness of the main disk. I could also see the nebula going near the star on the left. I only caught the dark lane twice and can not count it as a positive.
    IMG_0500.jpeg

I was not able to see Dracula’s fangs to the north and at the time I did not know to look for them. I also could see in the main disk stellar points that would come and go with the seeing. I am not sure what this is or if it is real. I plane to contact the author of a recent paper and ask about the knots I was seeing. I think with the high surface brightness of the main lobe it would be visible in many scopes. I will keep at it to see if I can see the fangs and stellar knots again.
    Last edited by Jimi Lowrey; July 12th, 2024 at 09:29 PM.
    Clear Skies,

Jimi Lowrey
    Fort Davis Texas

48"F4 OMI/TEC
    28'F4 ATM