I observed LoTr 5 two days ago through my 25“ f 4 Dobsonian at 950 m altitude. Transparency was good, seeing was mediocre. I saw the nebula as a circular disc around the bright star with the star offset from the middle to the west. I had studied the halo of “Frosty Leo” and CW Leonis before turning to LoTr 5, and in comparison to these objects the planetary was not difficult to see. Magnification of 230x with UHC filter yielded the best result, even slightly better than OIII. The photos that Reiner linked show a curved dark wedge intruding into the rim of the nebula from the south and west. I assume that this is the central congestion separating the two lobes. The streak of nebulosity beyond that wedge to the west would then be the rim of the far side lobe. I searched for that dark wedge and finally came to suspect its location. But when I looked up the photos back home it turned out to be at a different place. So my suspicion was wrong. Apparently it is very hard to pin down the internal structure of this object.

Johannes