Thread: Object of the Week, January 26th, 2020 - Jones-Emberson 1 - in Lynx

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Object of the Week, January 26th, 2020 - Jones-Emberson 1 - in Lynx

Object of the Week, January 26th, 2020 - Jones-Emberson 1, JnEr 1, PN G164.8+31.1, PK 164+31.1, ARO 121 - Planetary Nebula in Lynx

R.A.: 07h57m51.6s.
    Dec.: +53°25'17" (2000)
    Size: 6.3'
    Magnitude: 14.00 (V); SB 26.6 Mag/arcsec²

The Headphones Nebula, Jones-Emberson 1, is a large, obscure, and ancient 14th magnitude planetary nebula at a distance of about 1600 light-years from Earth, well-placed this time of the year in Lynx. The 16.8-magnitude central star is a very blue-white dwarf. It was discovered using photographic plates in 1939 from Harvard Observatory by co-discover Rebecca Jones, who also discovered Jones 1 in Pegasus from this same location.

The APOD picture is amazing…

pk164_caha_1866.jpg

Although in this photo the planetary is an obvious ring, in my 25” telescope, using my NPB filter, it is a very tenuous “C” shaped object with the opening to the north-east, with 2 large lobes of ‘smoke’ on opposite sides, hence the nickname “headphone” nebula. It a perfect description!

The first time I attempted to observe this guy I was fooled by the galaxy pair NGC 2474/2475 about ½° to the south, thinking at first that I was seeing only the lobes. I never did see the actual planetary on that occasion, but I went home happy in thinking that I did!

As always, give it a go and let us know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Alsing
    25" f/5 Obsession
    http://www.pnalsing.com/home